Is LinkedIn Important for Lawyers?
Yes, LinkedIn is for Lawyers -- it's one of the top platforms for generating clients, networking, being found by recruiters, and more.
Just in time for the release of the new Star Wars films, I found an extensive How to Become a LinkedIn Jedi infographic by Gryffin Media over at Entrepreneur.com. The infographic itself is a bit dated so the numbers will be off, but the principles are the same. Some of the key takeaways for attorneys:
- LinkedIn is huge and getting bigger.
- LinkedIn is a critical platform for career development and business development.
- Balance quantity of connections with quality of connections.
- Keep it professional at all times.
- Develop a strong LinkedIn profile that showcases your strengths, including who you help and how you help them.
I'll also add a few caveats for attorneys using LinkedIn:
- Be careful not to give legal advice, even inadvertently
- Double-check your rules of attorney ethics on social media and advertising
- Double-check your employer's social medial policies
- Be careful not to give away confidential, privileged, or other sensitive information
- Hide your job seeking intent and activities from your current employer and others as much as possible